Marietta Attractions

Marietta, GA Cival War Attractions.

Brumby Hall & Gardens.Brumby Hall & Gardens

500 Powder Springs Street, Marietta, GA 30064 ~ The first superintendent of the Georgia Military Institute, Colonel Arnoldus V. Brumby, built this lovely Greek Revival style house. The Institute property (now the site of the Marietta Conference Center & Resort) was adjacent to Brumby Hall. Colonel Brumby, a West Point graduate, directed the institute from 1851-59. When Sherman’s troops occupied Marietta in 1864, the house was used as a hospital. The Institute buildings were burned as the army departed on the “March to the Sea.” It seems Brumby Hall was spared because Sherman and Brumby were friends at West Point. Today it is a house museum and special events facility. Hours: Monday, only – 9am-1pm Admission: Free http://www.exploregeorgia.org/listing/607-brumby-hall-gardens

Kennsaw Cannon.Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park

Corner of Old Highway 41 and Stilesboro Road ~ 770-427-4686 In June of 1864, General William T. Sherman’s advance toward Atlanta was delayed for two weeks at Kennesaw Mountain, just west of downtown Marietta. The Union Army, marching from Chattanooga to Marietta along the Western and Atlantic Railroad, was met by the Confederates entrenched along the ridge tops of Kennesaw Mountain, south towards Powder Springs Road, thereby blocking Union movement. The 2,888-acre National Park preserves the battleground where the Confederate army temporarily stopped the Union advance southward before the fall of Atlanta. Hours: 8:30am-5:00pm Daily www.nps.gov/kemo

Marietta Gone With the Wind Museum.Marietta Gone With the Wind Museum, Scarlett on the Square

18 Whitlock Avenue, Marietta, GA 30064 ~ 770-794-5576 When the movie Gone With the Wind premiered in Atlanta in 1939, the world fell in love with Scarlett and Rhett. The love affair continues at the Marietta Gone With the Wind Museum, Scarlett on the Square. The museum features rare memorabilia from the movie, Margaret Mitchell, and her Pulitzer Prize winning novel. Hours: Mon-Sat 10am-5pm, Closed Major Holidays www.gwtwmarietta.com

Marietta Museum of History

Marietta Museum.1 Depot Street, Marietta, GA 30060 ~ 770-794-5710 Located on the second floor of the 1845 Kennesaw House, the Marietta Museum of History’s galleries overflow with a wide variety of artifacts that will offer something of interest for every visitor. From 19th and 20th Century clothing and accessories to Civil War weapons and ammunition, the museum tells the story of the development of Cobb County and Marietta. Hours: Mon-Sat 10am-4pm www.mariettahistory.org

Root House Museum.

The Root House Museum

145 Denmead Street, Marietta, GA 30060 ~ 770-426-4982 Built in 1845 by Hannah and William Root, the Root House Museum offers visitors a glimpse of the home life of a middle class merchant and his family. Owned and operated by the Cobb Landmarks and Historical Society, it is one of the oldest surviving frame houses in Marietta and is furnished with period furniture in the fashion of the 1850’s. Hours: Tues-Sat 11am-4pm William Root House Museum

Marietta's Heritage Passport.

Marietta's Cannonball Trail Tour Brochure.Marietta’s Cannonball Trail Tour Brochure

Marietta Welcome Center & Visitors Bureau 4 Depot Street, Marietta, GA 30060 ~ 770-429-1115 Stop by the Marietta Welcome Center and pick up this self-guided tour brochure, which will lead you through Marietta’s Civil War sites and see historic buildings, battlefields and homes several of which served as hospitals & headquarters during the Battle. You will observe such highlights as Tranquilla, Oakton, Fair Oaks and the Archibald Howell House. Please note that most of the homes are privately owned and are not open to the public.

Old Zion Baptist Church.Old Zion Baptist Church

Corner & Haynes & Lemon Street ~ The Zion Baptist Church is one of the oldest African-American churches in North Georgia. Once a part of the Marietta First Baptist Church, the slave membership began petitioning for a separate church in 1852. In 1866, First Baptist granted letters to 88 African-American members for the purpose of constituting a new church. The old Church, built in 1888, was used until the 1980s when the current sanctuary was erected. Currently, the Church is establishing a Museum in the old church building. Theatre in the Square commissioned a play entitled “Zion,” which chronicled the members struggle for their own church. The play was premiered in Marietta and produced on Broadway.

Marietta Confederate Cemetery.Marietta Confederate Cemetery

395 Powder Springs Street, Marietta, GA 30060 ~ 770-794-5606 Started in 1863 when Mrs. Jane Porter Glover donated a corner of her plantation for the burial of 20 Confederate soldiers who died in a train wreck, the Marietta Confederate Cemetery is the final resting place for more than 3000 soldiers. Every Confederate State is represented, as well as Kentucky, Maryland, and Missouri, and the cemetery remains the largest Confederate Cemetery south of Richmond. A large number of the buried soldiers fought nearby in The Battle of Kennesaw Mountain and The Battle of Kolb’s Farm. http://www.mariettaga.gov/248/Marietta-Confederate-Cemetery

Marietta National Cemetery.Marietta National Cemetery

500 Washington Avenue, Marietta, GA 30060 ~ 770-428-5631; 866-236-8159 With the death toll rising rapidly during the Civil War, the idea to bury the dead in national cemeteries was conceived in 1862, and this cemetery was created in 1866. Henry Greene Cole, a prominent Marietta resident proposed the idea for the Marietta National Cemetery, and offered a few acres of land near downtown. The cemetery was to contain the graves of both Union and Confederate soldiers; however federal officials did not want Confederate dead to be buried near Yankee dead. Over 17,000 men are buried here, and more than 3,000 are unknown. Many died during the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain, and a total of 10,072 died during the Civil War. Hours: Mon-Fri 8am-4: 30pm www.cem.va.gov/CEM/cems/nchp/marietta.asp